This was both good news and bad news for the group.
- The good news was that the group had identified some issues that could be fixed at their level and that the conversation they were having allowed them to explore the issues in detail;
- The other good news was that they were now aware that there was no sense allowing a bunch of these issues they had identified to bother them because there was nothing they could do at their level to fix them. All they could do was identify it as an issue and pass it up the ladder to the powers that be;
- The bad news – A number of the core issues would remain – no mitigating steps could (or would) be taken to make the situation better;
The Serenity Prayer· God granted me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
· The courage to change the things I can;
· The wisdom to know the difference;
· It often falls on us to set the example;
So in this example we have achieved most of these four bullets. Due to time restraints we did not pursue solutions – that will come later. However when time permits this group will convene again to explore possibilities and soldier on in a more effective and efficient manner.
Has your organization taken the time recently to identify the issues that are impacting your staff's level of engagement? Huge advances and efficiencies can be made by being bold, letting the skeletons out of the closet and in this case “setting the example”.